Koetsu Onyx Platinum Cartridge
- Due to the breakdown or supply chains, government mandated shutdowns and massive drop in visitors we were forced to close both brick and mortar stores permanently in summer 2020. We are discounting the remaining inventory online and continue to provide a selection of new items from dependable suppliers ONLY.
- Covid continues to create delivery delays of weeks to months across the whole audio supply chain.
- We have not forgotten about your order.
- We order directly from the sole sources in Canada and stake claim on their incoming stock to get you the first available units. There is no faster way.
- Suppliers are not currently able to give us ETAs because factories and freight companies are also unreliable. You will receive a shipping notice when your order has shipped.
- Stay safe!
Upon Koetsu’s founding by Yoshiaki Sugano the current standard for a true high-end phono cartridge was yet to be discovered. A polymath trained in sword making, boxing and calligraphy he next sought to master the subtleties of analog sound.
Having built a reputation purely on the impeccably natural sound created, Koetsu surpasses the need for advertising or exorbitant marketing. Once you hear one, going back to any other moving coil pickup will be challenging, to say the least. Even the entry-level cartridges from Koetsu will outperform any competition at the price. Many of the pickups contain over 99.9% pure copper for the coil windings, and some models can be fitted with a one-piece diamond stylus tip and cantilever. They will only get more precise, natural and aesthetically beautiful as you ascend the range.
Sugano's quest led him to enlist universities, specialized industries and master craftspeople to create the special parts to go into his masterpieces. One of the first to use 4 nines copper (99.99% pure), curent production uses 6 nines copper (99.9999% pure). Platinum signature models feature silver cladding of the 6 nines copper, a process where a silver sheath is slowly drawn over the copper conductor.
Ultra-pure iron square plate formers were sourced for their most predictable magnetic characteristics and lowest oxidation. Pre-aged to the perfect consistency, rubber suspension parts are sourced under license with a rubber damper manufacturer. Special magnetic materials, including Alnico have been featured. Today, samarium-coblalt is used with platinum magnets reserved for the flagship models. Japanese craftsmen carve the rosewood bodies, lacquer coat the Urushi bodies, or cut stone for the onyx Platinum. Styli are specially designed and precision ground for Koetsu.
Providing an exceptionally organic listening experience, a Koetsu will go beyond what you thought possible from a cartridge.
“The music seems to ‘happen’ between your loudspeakers; voices and instruments materialize before your very ears.”
|Coil Wiring||Silver-plated copper|
|Frequency Range||20 Hz-100kHz|
|Inner Impedance||5 Ohms|
|Recommended Impedance||30 Ohms|
|Compliance||5x10-6cm/dyne at 100Hz|