CANADIAN CUSTOMERS ONLY e-mail with phone number for pricing.
Stereo Optimization - $150.00/hr
We've heard thousands of components in thousands of rooms so we can save you a lot of time by catching obvious mis-matches and improper setup. Save yourself headaches and wasted money on upgrades! Generally we can double the performance of any system through setup alone. Here's a note from a happy customer:
"I thought that after many many years of enjoying music on various costly equipment, that I had developed the ability to get the most out of my system. Boy was I wrong. Gunnar promised me that the small cost of having him coming to my house and refining the performance of my existing set up would be the best money I've spent on my audio. Now that he's come and worked my equipment around, I couldn't agree more. He made me realize why I spent all that money on my equipment in the first place. What's most important, is that he allowed me to enjoy my music in my own home like never before. I now realize that expensive equipment alone is not enough. It takes an ear and breadth of knowledge like that of Gunnar's to bring out the real value of good equipment." -- James K.
Cartridge mounting and setup (basic) - $30.00
How many people have accidentally broken the stylus on their new cartridge trying to install it? We take away the worry and do it for you. Includes alignment, antiskate, and stylus pressure adjustment. This service is free when you buy a turntable from us.
Turntable checkup and cartridge alignment - $50.00
We'll check speed, adjust suspension, tonearm height and cartridge alignment.
Cartridge mounting and setup (advanced) - $150.00
Includes alignment, antiskate, stylus pressure and VTA adjustment as well as bench testing with an oscilliscope to determine optimal electrical output.
Home delivery of your purchase.
We offer convenient home delivery of your purchase.
Setup of components
$150 hourly rate (1 hour minimum, travel times apply)
**Mar 21. 2022 UPDATE
Stock delays continue and are as bad or worse than a year ago due to major new Covid shutdowns in China and Asia (most brands are made here), Port delays and Rail strikes in US and Canada, and problems out of Eastern Europe (Pro-Ject).
- We have re-organized our recommended items around dependable suppliers ONLY. Please pay attention to our selected systems for your best chance at getting a product that is available.
- Even amongst the most reliable suppliers, Covid-19 continues to create delivery delays of weeks to months across the whole audio supply chain.
- We submit your order directly to the sole sources in Canada to get it in the queue for their incoming stock. In most cases they will drop ship directly to you for fastest turnaround time. There is no alternate source for us or for you because suppliers have monopolies to products in Canada. Orders are non-cancelable because we commit to and reserve your order in the queue. We suggest getting in as soon as possible because demand from everyone being stuck at home is off the charts vs. limited supply.
- Suppliers are not currently able to give us ETAs because factories and freight companies are overwhelmed. You will receive a shipping notice only when your order has shipped. We are doing everything in our power to get you your items as fast as possible.
- Stay safe!
AD-2850 is the dedicated phono equalizer unit. Analog records can be reproduced with high quality by installing AD-2850 in a rear-panel slot. The AD-2850 features separate input circuitry for MC and MM cartridges to ensure optimum matching and realize outstanding S/N ratio. 2 sets of analog-player input jacks, the AD1 and AD2 are equipped, and their selections are switchable with the INPUT selector of pre-amplifiers.
- Differential amplifier circuit with ultra low noise bipolar-transistors for MC cartridges.
- Differential amplifier circuit with ultra low noise junction-FET for MM cartridges.
- Differential RIAA equalizer circuit is designed to provide super accurate RIAA equalization characteristics.
- MC Load settings are selectable from among 4 values “10Ω/30Ω/100Ω/300Ω”. The input impedance for both MM settings is 47kΩ.
- Storing separate MC Load and/or AD GAIN settings for each installed AD input (AD1 and/or AD2) is available, and it enables the smooth switching of 2 kinds of analog players or tone arms.
- The printed circuits are made from glass cloth fluorocarbon resin.
Guaranteed Specifications [Guaranteed specifications are measured according to EIA standard RS-490] (Specifications installed in C-2850)
MM/40dB, MC ：20～20,000Hz ±0.2dB
MM/30dB ：20～20,000Hz ±0.3dB
AD Maximum input voltage (1kHz, 0.005% THD)
MM/30dB INPUT ： 310mV
MM/40dB INPUT ： 96.5mV
MC/60dB INPUT ： 9.5mV
MC/70dB INPUT ： 3.2mV
Gain (Gain selector set to 18 dB position, 12/18/24 dB settings available)
AD[MM:30/40dB]INPUT → BALANCED/LINE OUTPUT ：48/58dB
AD[MM:30/40dB]INPUT → REC OUTPUT ：30/40dB
AD[MC:60/70dB]INPUT → BALANCED/LINE OUTPUT ：78/88dB
AD[MC:60/70dB]INPUT → REC OUTPUT ：60/70dB
Input sensitivity and impedance
|Input||Input Sensitivity||Input Impedance|
|For Rated Output||For 0.5V Output|
|AD-MM/30 dB INPUT||8.0 mV||2.0 mV||47 kilohms|
|AD-MM/40 dB INPUT||2.5 mV||0.63 mV||47 kilohms|
|AD-MC/60 dB INPUT||0.25 mV||0.063 mV||10/30/100/300 ohms, switchable|
|AD-MC/70 dB INPUT||0.08 mV||0.02 mV||10/30/100/300 ohms, switchable|
|BALANCED/LINE||252 mV||63 mV||40/20 kilohms, switchable|
|Input||Input shorted (A weighting)||EIA S/N|
|S/N ratio at rated output|
|AD-MM/30 dB INPUT||94 dB||86 dB|
|AD-MM/40 dB INPUT||85 dB||86 dB|
|AD-MC/60 dB INPUT||80 dB||86 dB|
|AD-MC/70 dB INPUT||73 dB||87 dB|
|BALANCED/LINE||111 dB||110 dB|
Compatibility with other pre-amplifiers (C-2820/C-2420 etc)
The AD-2850 can be used in the models C-2820/C-2810/C-2800/C-2420/C-2410/C-2400/C-290V/C-290. However, the 300 ohm position for the MC impedance can be used only in the models C-2850/C-2820/C-2420, because other models have no corresponding selector position on the front panel. Also, the actual gain will be different from the indication of the AD gain selector knob as follows. MC: 60dB, 70dB, MM: 30dB, 40dB.A major feature of the AD-2850 is the use of a balanced configuration or the internal circuitry. Separate input stages optimized for MC and MM cartridges respectively bring out the best performance from every cartridge. When using the MM input, high output impedance matching is achieved by means of a low noise FET configuration. By contrast, the MC input needs to handle very low-level signals with low input impedance. This is realized by the use of a differential input circuit with low-noise bi-polar transistors together with a low-impedance NFB loop, resulting in playback with minimal noise. Also, the built-in differential RIAA equalizer circuit with using high-precise components for both feedback side and ground side is designed to provide super accurate RIAA equalization characteristics. The MC input impedance can be switched to 10, 30, 100, or 300 ohms, while the MM input impedance is fixed to 47 k ohms. In addition, the gain can be set to 60 or 70 dB for MC and to 30 or 40 dB for MM. All of these functions are controlled with switches on the front panel of pre-amplifiers. Operation convenience therefore is exactly the same as when using a pre-amplifier with built-in phono equalizer.